all the bright places by jennifer niven (a review)
 20150804 @ 10:04 pm | 0 comment(s)



THOUGHTS:

It took me three trips to a bookstore before I decided to get All The Bright Places because I wasn't sure if I would like it as I had the impression that it would be like every other cliche romance young adult novels that I have always regretted buying. But I'm glad I picked it up in the end.

The thing about All The Bright Places is that it's so real. I have been reading ever since I can remember and I have read so many books and fanfics in my lifespan so far but never have I read something so vivid that I get sucked right into the story. There was not a single part of the book that dragged too much. It's like things unravel with every chapter, you find you couldn't put the book down and I was itching for the book to end already.

Towards the middle of the plot, I fell in love with Finch or rather, Finch's mind. The way Niven portrayed him was beautiful. And Finch felt so real that it's like he was talking to me the whole time I read and maybe I'm exaggerating but I have never felt so close to a fictional character in such a short period. I tabbed so many quotes from Finch's parts and it saddens me that he wasn't there till the end.


I guess the reason why I love this book so much is because I can relate so much to the anxiety and depressing thoughts especially on Finch's part. Not everyone can be compassionate when it comes to mental illness, more so suicide. The stigma that grows around suicide or suicidal thoughts at the very least is that people are just looking for attention. It makes me want to scream at them and ask have they ever thought about why people would go to great lengths to get attention when at the end they won't even get to feel it (I will talk more about mental illness in another post).

All The Bright Places is great if you want a more personal perspective of depression and/or the different ways some people react to death. One of the best things about this book is that it makes you appreciate the here and now. That you shouldn't worry so much about the past or the future and it's important to live in the moment. It isn't all that moody or depressing from cover to cover. There are moments that are funny and fun to imagine and romantic that you wish would happen to you too.

Reading the book felt like a mix between John Green's Paper Towns and Looking For Alaska, I guess. So if you enjoyed those works or like genres that centers on suicide/depression, I would totally recommend this book.

Personal Rating: ★★★★☆

FAVORITE QUOTES:

"It's my experience that people are a lot more sympathetic if they can see you hurting,"

"The problem with people is they forget that most of the time it's the smallest things that count.

"Because it's not a lie if it's how you feel."

"What a terrible feeling to love someone and not be able to help them."

"The thing I realize is that it's not what you take, it's what you leave."


p/s: I decided to make my blog public and revive this old thing again. Man updating is hard.


Labels: , ,